Military Schools in Michigan - Military Schools for Boys (1 Military School Found)
Grades: Undergraduate | 715 E. Front St., Traverse City, MI 49686
The Great Lakes Maritime Academy, located in Traverse City, Michigan, is the only freshwater maritime academy in the United States. In addition, this exclusive school is one of only six maritime academies in America. Licensing is available for the Great Lakes and open-ocean travel.Dual Purpose EducationCadets who attend the Great Lakes Maritime Academy receive a […]
Military Schools in Michigan - Military Schools for Boys
In typical schools there are practically unlimited distractions, temptations and attractions to undesirable habits that can keep boys from getting started on the right path in life, academically and personally. Military schools for boys give students structure, discipline and an atmosphere that allows them to excel and meet their goals in a nurturing and effective environment.
Students learn through the enforcement of strict routines that certain required things are expected of them. They are often expected to keep shoes shined, clothes neat, clean and pressed and to adhere to standards of personal behavior like politeness and respect. They learn to have respect for teachers and for others in authority positions as well as for fellow students.
Values That Develop Character
Boys who attend military schools soon learn that they are going to be working within an environment of strict discipline and that they will face high expectations. Failure to meet these expectations will result in consequences. A military school environment provides boys the structure they need at impressionable ages to succeed. They develop qualities like high moral character, honesty, integrity, discipline and honor.
Other important lessons learned by boys in military educational settings are things like ways to cope with disappointments and setbacks. They learn to be resilient even when life throws challenges their way. The develop confidence that they can handle any situation in an effective and honorable way. They also learn exactly how to be effective and good leaders, a quality that is so important in life no matter what occupation is chosen upon graduation.
An Exceptional Education
Military academies for boys have earned good reputations for stellar curriculum’s that fully prepare young men for whatever career path they choose after graduation. Many boys who have gone through military educational systems choose to enter the military upon graduation. Still others go on to become government workers or work in fields like medicine and engineering. The outstanding structured classes of a military school environment allows young men to learn free from distractions often found in traditional schools.
Boys in a military school do not have time to hang out and be tempted by peer pressure to try things like alcohol and drugs, and all-boy military schools also eliminate the need for boys to impress girls in the same class. Students are kept so busy and engaged in their work and physical exercise that they don’t seek other forms of recreation that could lead them down the wrong path. Class sizes are often smaller in a military school than in traditional schools, meaning that every boy gets personalized attention and a good education from dedicated teachers and faculty who are there to see that every boy has the opportunity for success.
Boys in military school know what it is to experience real pride in their accomplishments, knowing the hard work and dedication it took them to meet their goals. They develop friendships that often stay with them throughout life. They learn how to be great leaders and the best ways to be a leader, like leading through example.
Military Schools Fill A Void For Many Boys
Military education often fills a void of the things that are missing in the lives of some boys. The total surroundings in a military educational institution offer a nurturing and healthy environment that is conducive to learning and achievement. Parents sending boys to military schools are often searching for this type of environment to help make sure their son’s are successful in life.
The lessons learned from the challenging coursework, the exciting and competitive athletic programs and from the leadership experiences they have in a military school grooms boys into young men with exceptional characters. They become trustworthy men who understand the importance of things like integrity, honesty, honor and respect for others. They graduate knowing how to lead others as an individual and how to work together well in a team environment.
Success In Life
Boys who have gone through a military school will come out with an appreciation for things like achievement in a goal-oriented way. They often have clear ideas of the path they wish to take in life and they know how to be successful. Military schools emphasize working together in a disciplined way to meet a common goal. Academic life and recreational pursuits feature healthy competitiveness. They learn to be disciplined and what it means to delay gratification, which is an issue that so many young people struggle with today. Lessons learned in the military school environment stay with a young man long after he is grown.
Boys-only military schools in America have a longstanding tradition of blending rigorous academic curricula with structured military training and discipline. Here are some prominent all-male military schools in the U.S.:
- Army and Navy Academy (Carlsbad, California): Located on the coast of California, the Army and Navy Academy offers a unique environment for boys in grades 7-12.
- Camden Military Academy (Camden, South Carolina): Serving students in grades 7-12, Camden Military Academy focuses on academic excellence, character development, and leadership training.
- Fork Union Military Academy (Fork Union, Virginia): This Christian military school serves young men in grades 6-12 and offers a postgraduate year.
- Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Virginia): Hargrave serves students in grades 7-12 and postgraduates. It emphasizes academic achievement, character development, and leadership.
- Missouri Military Academy (Mexico, Missouri): This academy offers a college-prep education for boys in grades 7-12 and also provides a postgraduate year.
- New York Military Academy (Cornwall-on-Hudson, New York): Founded in 1889, this school has a rich history and serves students in grades 7-12.
- St. John's Military School (Salina, Kansas): This school, which had served young men for over a century, unfortunately closed its doors in 2019, but it remains an integral part of the history of boys-only military education in the U.S.
- Texas Military Institute (San Antonio, Texas): While it became co-educational in the late 20th century, it's worth mentioning given its rich history as an all-boys institution since its inception in 1893.
- Valley Forge Military Academy (Wayne, Pennsylvania): This academy educates young men in grades 7-12.
- The Citadel (Charleston, South Carolina): While The Citadel is primarily a college-level institution (and now co-ed), its longstanding tradition as an all-male military college earns it a mention.